Granola is the ideal breakfast food for those who can tolerate healthy sugars in their diet. Not only is it super simple to make, it’s benefits profile is truly impressive. Take a look at just some of the healthy effects of oats alone:
- Oats help remove cholesterol from the digestive system that would otherwise end up in the bloodstream.
- In addition to reducing cholesterol and blunting glycemic and insulin response, beta glucans in oats boost defenses of the immune system against bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.
- Oats help control blood pressure.
- Ranked number 1 for breakfast food satiety or feeling of fullness.
Oats, almonds, cashews and pumpkin seeds are all great sources of magnesium, a crucial mineral that performs many biological functions such as:
- Activating muscles and nerves.
- Creating energy in your body by activating adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
- Helping digest proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.
- Acting as a building block for RNA and DNA synthesis.
- As a precursor for neurotransmitters like serotonin.1
Magnesium is critical for heart health, making Heavenly Granola a delicious gift to your hard-working heart and, accompanied with some live food or juice, a superior way to start the day!
To a healthy and serene body and mind!
4 cups rolled oats
1 ½ cups raw almonds
1 ½ cups raw cashews
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup shaved/shredded coconut
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon molasses
1 cup liquid sweetener – brown rice syrup, honey, maple syrup, fruit juice concentrate, piloncillo, aguamiel etc
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup chia
dried berries, raisins, dates, dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop almonds and cashews. Mix all dry ingredients except chia in a bowl. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Warm coconut oil and sweeteners on the stove to liquefy and pour over dry ingredients. Mix well and spread out on baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, removing the pan from the oven and turning the granola twice to prevent burning and ensure even results.
Let cool completely and then add chia seeds and dried fruit or dark chocolate to make a dessert granola.
Store in an airtight container in a dry place or keep in the fridge in humid environments.
Try out different nut combinations, using Brazil nuts, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, to your liking!